Well this concept did not sit well with many of our preacher listeners, because such a statement threatens their entire livelihood. Despite their grunts and moans, I hold firm to my belief that only the truly “Called of God” are preaching for the love of Christ without pay.
In the African American community there has been an increase in men and women entering into the “Fulltime Ministry” industry. I call it an industry and not a ministry because of the amount of money that is hoarded by the industry professionals – the fulltime Pastors. With so much money exchanging hands in Christian Temples all across the country, it causes me to wonder how Christ would handle this current invasion of merchants as witnessed in Mark 11:15-19.
Montel Williams Is A Paid Spokesperson –DUH!!!
Last night as I struggled to finish an episode of Law & Order Special Victims Unit I couldn’t help but notice that Montel Williams is now promoting everything from Payday loans to Juicers (and he has every right to make his money). The interesting aspect of all of Montel’s commercials is a disclaimer which always appears that indicates that Montel Williams is a “Paid Spokesperson” for the featured service or product.
The fact that he is a “Paid Spokesperson” is the way the advertiser (MoneyMutal.com Payday Loans) are allowed to stay in compliance with Section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission’s rules against deceptive advertisements - FTC Act (15 U.S.C. 45).
That’s right, Montel Williams is paid to deliver a message regardless if he completely agrees with the product or services he’s promoting. Imagine if your spouse was getting paid to be your spouse, how would it make you feel every time they uttered the words “I love you”?
Now place the same “Paid Spokesperson” concept in the same light shined upon your pastor every Sunday. Is he preaching because he loves the Lord or is he preaching because you are paying him to do so? Would your pastor still preach with the same fire and passion if no money was involved in his compensation plan?
In July 2012 Forbes reported that Dr. Drew was cited in a $3 Billion settlement in a case that pitted the Justice Department against drug maker GlaxoSmithKline for illegally promoting the antidepressant drug Paxil. Dr. Drew came under fire for promoting & prescribing the drug, but failing to disclose that the drug maker had paid him a total of $275k for his endorsement.
The major issue with paid endorsements is the endorsers are compelled to please the advertisers, and as a result the endorsers / Paid Spokespersons could make claims that are not supported by facts. Such is the case with Dr. Drew when he prescribed Paxil as a sexual stimulant despite the fact that sexual arousal is only a mild side effect of the drug.
The same could be said of the many “Paid Preachers” who find themselves under the same pressure to satisfy the source of their income, the congregation. The truth is we pay our “Paid Spokesperson” in the same manner as the Drug Companies, Infomercials, and Insurance Companies pay their trusted spokespersons, but the facts that are being misrepresented pertain to Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
The “Pew Occupiers” of today have consequently entered into a bartering agreement with a group of men who make claim that God has called them to preach. Now it’s hard to dispute if the person claiming to be called is truly called or not to preach the Gospel, but why the preaching part only starts after there has been a discussion regarding the compensation plan?
These Preachers / “Paid Spokespersons” have failed to really disclose all of the side effects of the Prosperity, Seed, and Prophetic Gospels that has left many of us permanently addicted, and co-dependent. Perhaps the most damaging of all the side effects has resulted from a drug I call “Tithegivetome” or shall I say “Tithe-Give-To-Me.”
It has been this one very dangerous drug that has left the entire Body of Christ in a Purple Haze state that has not been experienced since the LSD epidemic of the 1960’s. The “Paid Spokesperson’s” have push Tithegivetome as a miracle drug that can cure any spiritual, mental, financial, emotional, occupational, social, maternal, residential, educational, martial, physical, and theological condition known to man. Due to the perceived creditability of the “Paid Spokesman” many of us fail to seek a second opinion directly from Jesus, and have become functional addicts on doses as high as 700mg of Tithegivetome.
The “Paid Spokespersons” has also failed to inform us that just one dosage of the drug Tithegivetome causes permanent spiritual damage, and a loss of the ability to engage in authentic worship.
Due to the many Drug Stores / Churches in our neighborhoods there is always an unlimited supply of the drug Tithegivetome, which also explains the increase in commercials and billboards that feature many of these “Paid Spokespersons.”
The Treatment Could Be Harsher Than The Sickness
Getting the Body of Christ to ignore the drugs pushed by Paid Spokespersons / Preachers could prove to be a very daunting test, because it would require that many of us take responsibility for our own spiritual health. Listed below you will find three steps you can take as an individual or congregation to begin the healing process and present a more organic non-toxic gospel to your family, and the world of unbelievers.
1. End the contract with all paid preachers and give them the opportunity to re-enlist without compensation. Money is truly the root of all evil when it comes to the pulpit therefore let’s cut the umbilical cords of money, Bentleys, and Preacher Cribs. All servants of Christ must have dual employment both in the Body of Christ, and the private sector (only leaving grace for the elderly and servants with special needs). What greater place for a spokesperson to interact with a non-believer than in the actual work place.
2. There should be a class action lawsuit filed against the makers and promoters of the drug Tithgivetome in an attempt to recover donations intended to aid the Body of Christ. The Paid Preachers have been successful in harvesting all of the revenue collected in churches by administering a drug that has had the same addictive effects as Crack Cocaine. In the same manner as Crack Addicts, we have returned to Churches/ Crack Houses each week to bring whatever resources we have in exchange for higher milligrams of Tithgivetome. If Dr. Drew can be held responsible for his misrepresentation of the drug Paxil, then we feel many of the same Preachers should be held equally accountable for misrepresenting the drug Tithgivetome.
3. Require all churches to close for a period of three years and demand that the members have church in their homes. Due to the large scale of this outbreak, I feel that we need to meet extremes with extremes, and prevent new converts to Christianity from encountering the drug pushers who sling Tithgivetome. In having Church in the homes of believers we will be able to root out those pastors who are only in the Preaching Game for the money. By having church in homes we will eliminate the huge overhead that has come to define ministry, and get back to the same style ministry that Christ participated in during his rule on earth.
If It Lasts Longer Than 4 Hours See A Doctor
No one is entitled to receive pay for preaching the Gospel. To Preach the Gospel of our Lord is the least you can do to show your own gratitude, for your own salvation. When I think of the Goodness of Jesus and all he’s done for me, it’s hard to tell it all without sounding braggadocious.
To all pastors who claim that God has called them to preach please post in the comments section of this article how much he promised to pay you when he ordered you to preach?
Did you, and Jesus discuss the dollar amount you would need in order to effectively delivery the Word of God (as you say), and if so how much did Christ offer to pay you to preach? I know those questions sound ridiculous, but it’s equally ridiculous that a Pastor who feels that because he is in Fulltime Ministry, then we should cover all of his bills.
Third question – What is Fulltime Ministry and how is that any different from what Jesus has demanded of all believers?
Peter never asked Jesus (how much are you going to pay me?) when he got the called to become a fisher of men, he simply answered the call. When we accept payment for preaching we are no longer servants of Jesus, but better yet employees of Jesus. Employees, Contractors, and Paid Servants will one day face the retirement of their contracts, but a servant is a servant for life.
When you’re paid to preach then your employer becomes someone other than Jesus, which means that at some point you will have to compromise or adjust your gospel in order to stay gainfully employed. Instead of getting yourself into an indentured servitude relationship with your employers (The Congregation), how about you emancipate yourself from any and all binding contracts that stipulate that you (Mr. Pastor) will receive pay in exchange for your revelation from our Lord Jesus.
Your pay (Mr. Pastor) comes directly from Jesus, but not in the form of currency. Stop taking money to preach like a religious prostitute and allow Christ to bless your hands.
I am living proof that Jesus can bless your hands in such a way that you will never have to accept one dime from preaching the word of God. I challenge you today to become a true servant of Christ – and not a Paid Spokesperson who appears less than authentic and disingenuous. Once you remove money from your compensation plan, only then will you witness souls converted by the works of a true Spokesperson of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
2 Thessalonians 3:5-9
Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.
3. But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.
4. And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you, both that you do and will do the things we command you.
5. Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.
6. But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he[a] received from us.
7. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow us, for we were not disorderly among you;
8. nor did we eat anyone’s bread free of charge, but worked with labor and toil night and day, that we might not be a burden to any of you,
9. not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example of how you should follow us.
Church Folk Revolution